What Is IP Routing
What Is IP (Internet Protocol) Routing?
IP (Internet Protocol) Routing is a technology that allows a message to be delivered from one local network to another network over an IP network.
IP (Internet Protocol) Routing consists of the following components.
1. Host IP Configuration - Each host on an IP network must have one IP networking interface with the following minimum configuration as shown in this example:
Interface : en0 IP Address : 192.168.1.2 Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0 Gateway : 192.168.1.1
2. Gateway IP Routing - Each gateway connected to multiple subnets must have multiple networking interfaces. It must also perform the routing task with a routing table as shown in this example:
Subnet Mask Interface 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0 fa0/0 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 fa0/1
3. IP Message Header - Each IP message must have a message header that contains the IP address of the message destination host as shown in the this diagram:
When a host on sends a message to another host on an IP network, the message will be delivered according the following algorithm:
1. If the source host has only one interface, the message will be delivered to that interface.
2. The interface will compare the destination address against the subnet mask of its configuration.
3. If the destination is in the same subnet, the message will be delivered to the destination directly.
4. If the destination is on a different subnet, the message will be delivered to the gateway of the interface configuration.
5. When the gateway receives the message, it will select one of subnet interfaces by comparing the destination address against its routing table and forward the message to the selected interface.
6. Repeat Step 2 to 5 until the messages reaches its destination.
2021-05-16, 248👍, 0💬
How to run Fitbit Connect for the first time and create a new account on Fitbit server? I have Fitbi...
Where to find answers to frequently asked questions on Google Chrome? I want to know how to install ...
What is the difference between a Web page and a Single File Web Page? Word supports 2 Web page forma...
How to download Mozilla Firefox 2.0? If you want to try Mozilla Firefox 2.0, you can follow this tut...
How to use MomoCast with Safari on iPhone and iPad to cast Website and video to Chromecast on TV? If...